NextFab is seeking an engaging, talented, and enthusiastic person for our Electronics Department Technical Supervisor position. NextFab is a collaborative makerspace and business accelerator. We provide access to machinery, education, membership, community, events, rental space, and professional services to enable innovators to turn ideas into products, and products into businesses. We are looking for candidates for the position who feel passionate about supporting the mission and work of our organization and our customers.
The Electronics Department Technical Supervisor leads the electronics department at our South Philadelphia location and is responsible for ensuring the department is well-maintained, organized, efficient, and serves the needs of the tech-startups, inventors, and artisans that use the location.
• Report to the Location Manager
• Support NextFab’s Electronics department, directing the tools and growth trajectory
• Organize and maintain the department and its physical assets
• Manage department’s inventory of consumables
• Ensure that department capabilities are in tune with the state of the art of the field
• Teach Electronics department classes and courses in support of education services and with the assistance of other instructors
• Continually improve the competence of self and staff with Electronics departments tools and processes
• Develop and maintain basic competence with tools and processes of other NextFab departments
• Occasionally support other needs of the company as skills and needs dictate
This role will be the subject matter expert in electronics for the South Philly location but will support multiple departments and our planned business accelerator program as part of a small team. Candidates should have direct experience in multiple areas of design and fabrication, including one or more of:
• 3D Computer-Aided Design (SolidWorks, Rhinoceros preferred)
• Graphic design and illustration (Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop preferred)
• CNC routing
• 3D Printing
• 3D Scanning
• Large-format 2D printing (Roland vinyl print-cut systems preferred)
• Laser cutting
• 40 hours/week. Hours include evenings and weekends.
• Occasional attendance at events outside of normal work hours.
- Basic circuit design, prototyping, troubleshooting (e.g. Breadboarding circuits)
- Reading of circuit schematics
- Basic electronics theory (Ohm’s Law, Ampere’s Law, Kirchhoff’s Laws, etc.)
- Through-hole and surface-mount soldering
- Bench test equipment (DMM, power supply, oscilloscope, function generator)
- Microcontroller Programming (Arduino required)
- 2-year or 4-year degree in electrical engineering
- 2+ years of professional experience in electronics repair or manufacturing
- 4+ years of electronics hobby project activity
- PCB Design and Layout Software (e.g. AutoDesk Eagle)
- Firmware Development in C/C++ (preferred), Python, etc.
- Embedded System Design (e.g. integration of electronics design and firmware development)
- Design for Manufacturability (DFM)